Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:12:28 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI disks / disklabel / vinum

On Monday,  5 March 2001 at 17:35:31 -0600, Doug Poland wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 09:18:30AM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
>>
>> It tells you: No such file or directory.  You apparently don't have
>> the device nodes in place.
>
> But I have the disks mounted!  Right now I have 6 SCSI disks mounted
> and accessable on 6 different mount points.

Then they could be mounted via different names.  Typically you don't
mount the c partition.

>> You'll almost certainly need to create the device nodes.
>>
> I took Richard Childers advice and did...
> 	# cd /dev
> 	# .MAKEDEV pass4
> 	# .MAKEDEV pass5
>
> Now I have the pass devices 0-5.  When I run disklabel -e
> on da4 or da5, I still don't see 4.2BSD.

Did you create a 4.2BSD partition?  The default labelling doesn't
create one.

> The truely weird thing is I can see the 4.2BSD partition with a
> disklabel -r but not in disklabel -e.  See following...
>
> judeah#	disklabel -r da4
> # /dev/da4:
> type: SCSI
> disk: da4s1
> label:
> 8 partitions:
> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   c:  3933040        0    unused        0     0       	# (Cyl.    0 - 244*)
>   e:  3933040        0    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16 	# (Cyl.    0 - 244*)
>
> judeah# disklabel -e da4
> # /dev/da4:
> type: SCSI
> disk: IBMRAID
> label: 0664M1H9337
>
> 8 partitions:
> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   c:  3933040        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 1440*)
>
> The same thing shows for da5.

Strange.  The label doesn't agree either.  This could be something to
do with the kind of disks you're using.  What does fdisk say?  Do you
have any file systems mounted on these drives?  If so, what is the
output of the df command?

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.