Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 00:39:24 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        HarDBooT <hardbootpr@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.0 install problem

FreeBSD, as Winblows, wants to have its boot partition within the very first two
Gig of any drive. It seems you experienced fdisk reporting the fact.

To fix the problem, you have to change your disk layout: there should be at
least some room for the root file system within the first two Gigs of your
disk,. something like this:

slice 0 (Dos partition 1) 1G Winblows
slice 1 (Dos partition 2) 1G FreeBSD root
slice 2 (Dos partition 3) some more room for FreeBSD
slice 3 (Dos partition 4) extended DOS partition  for Winblows

alternatively, add another small disk, and install FreeBSD there. Unlike
Winblows, FreeBSD boots happily from any disk on your system, given itrs root
partition is to be found within the first two Gig.

HTH
-Christoph Sold