Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:46:28 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tuning the buffer cache

Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com> types:
> I am running our SCM server on FreeBSD (3.4 at present).  It's a
> product called Perforce <http://www.perforce.com/>, which is
> notoriously CPU-light and memory-hungry: it has a lot of metadata and
> it likes to access it fast, which means in memory.  Currently I am
> running it on a Celeron 466 with 384 MB of RAM.  It occurs to me that
> performance might be improved if the big metadata files were always
> resident in the buffer cache.  Other than buying more memory, is there
> any way I can encourage the system to do this?

Congratulations on choosing an excellent SCM system.

> I'm planning to upgrade this machine to FreeBSD 4.4, by the way.

That's probably the best thing you can do about tuning it. I believe a
lot of work went into the VM system between 3.x and 4.x. After you do
that, read the tuning manual page. It points out one thing you can do
which should help perforce a lot - setting vfs.vmiodirenable to
1. That's going to be come the default.

As for other things, quoting that man page:

     There are various buffer-cache and VM page cache related sysctls.  We do
     not recommend messing around with these at all.  As of FreeBSD 4.3, the
     VM system does an extremely good job tuning itself.

	<mike