Date:      Tue, 12 May 1998 17:21:51 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Jochen Solbrig <Jochen.Solbrig@urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scientific plotting

On Tue, 12 May 1998, Jochen Solbrig wrote:

> i'm looking for a scientific plotting package which also
> can do numerical calculations, like
> data fitting or fft. it should be able to edit
> data (multiplying data columns, etc.)

I have not very much experience with `octave' but it may help you. Octave
does numerical calculations and uses Gnuplot for plotting. Both are free
packages within the distribution, of course.

On the commercial sector there are IDL or PV-WAVE. Both are quite similar
and have the same pedrigee. I successfully run the Linux version of
PV-WAVE 6.1 with the Linux emulator under 2.2.2-R. Maybe the same can be
done with IDL but I've never tried. Take a look at `http://www.vni.com' or
`http://www.rsinc.com'.

Konrad Heuer

// Gesellschaft fuer wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH
// Goettingen (GWDG), Am Fassberg, D-37077 Goettingen, Germany
//
// kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de