Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 00:03:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISDN drivers/cards

Jamil J. Weatherbee wrote:

[...]
> actually my idea would be an internal card that
> looks like an ne2000.. Maybye it already exists for use in the US but I
> have not been able to find any.

This would be nice. Even the cards which are emulating an UART are nice.

The real drawback is, that you can use such cards for nothing but data
transfer.

But ISDN allows you to do zillions of other applications, and i'd like
- at least - to be able to explore and use them, what i can't with a
card emulating a ne2000.

The only alternative to an ISDN card - as i see it - is a nice concept,
the concept of a "virtual CAPI": an ISDN router you can talk TCP/IP to
and where you can access this virtual CAPI by talking to a special port,
then all you have to do to do i.e. telephony is to put CAPI messages
into IP packets and you can telephone over the router.

One manufacturer of such device is Bintec (i'm in no way affiliated
with them, not even as a customer), look at www.bintec.de to get an
impression (i think they even support the US ISDN protocols).

And if anybody now asks what a CAPI is, have a look at www.capi.org.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
       There is a difference between an open mind and a hole in the head