Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2018 13:27:36 +0000
From:      Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware assisted video decoding on Radeon KMS driver?

On 16/02/2018 22:25, tech-lists wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have one of these as well. Didn't know if it was accelerated or not,
> used the radeonkms driver. It ran with 11-1 stable for a while, nice n
> sharp screen. What made me install linux mint was the fact that I
> couldn't dim the screen on freebsd. It was stuck at 100%. cpufreq
> couldn't work with the chip. These two things were a bit of a
> dealbreaker for me with this netbook.
>
> That was with 11-stable of a while ago now. I'll give 12-current and
> that new drm-next-kmod a spin.
>
> My previous dmesg on freebsd and linux are at
> https://www.zyxst.net/txt/amd-c70-netbook/

Do you have on your laptop function keys to dim the screen? These are
usually located on number keys on the keyboard. In my case I can dim the
screen when I am booting the system, through BIOS, up to the screen
where I can select the FreeBSD kernel. Once the NVidia driver is loaded
by the kernel these function keys stop working. So I simply learned to
dim the screen while booting and then it stays dimmed once the system
and X11 is loaded. If that works for you then it maybe a suitable
workaround.

Regards
GrzegorzJ