Date:      Tue, 06 Jan 1998 09:42:04 -0600
From:      Kevin Hendrix <kevin@rocksolid.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Extremely Slow FTP Logins

Hi.

I am having problems with a couple of FreeBSD boxes and was searching
for some answers.  Users are complaining about extremely slow FTP
logins.  I've run some tests myself and come up with the same results
as my users.  When connecting to the FTP port on my server, I can
enter my username and be immediately prompted for a password.  When I
enter my password, there will be a 3-5 minute pause before it verifies
and allows me access to the system.  Once logged in, there are no more
delays and the FTP session performs as expected.

The problem is that most of my users use M$ Win95 based FTP clients
which croak on the long pause after entering the password.  Any help
on the problem would be appreciated.

Let me tell you a little about our network (in order to give you a
more full picture of what is going on).  My servers operated on a
dedicated T1 to MCI which is not heavily loaded, and all of my users
come in through this connection.  Most users connect from various
dial-up providers from across the US, but I've already ruled out the
possibility of general "netlag" causing the problems.  The problem
existed even while accessing the server on internal 10MB ethernet
connections.

I have experienced this problem on servers running both v2.2.1 and
v2.2.2 of FreeBSD.  Our servers are PPro200 machines with 128MB
memory, SCSI HDD, and Cogent 10/100 etherenet adapters (DEC PCI)
running into a 100MB ethernet switch.

Again, any help on the problem would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

kevin
kevin@rocksolid.net