Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 23:02:04 +0100 (CET)
From:      Jonas Eriksson <je@interact.se>
To:        "Dr. Dave" <dave@sneakerz.org>
Cc:        "Jean-Pierre H. Dumas" <jphdumas@yahoo.fr>, FreeBSD-Security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security tests

Try The Nessus remote security scanner, located at:

http://www.nessus.org

Regards Jonas Eriksson
--
InterACT Lule=E5
Network & Security Administrator

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Dr. Dave wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 26, 1999 at 04:36:35PM +0200, Jean-Pierre H. Dumas wrote:
> > This is to verify the security of a FreeBSD 3.2
> > server I am installing. To be used as a POP3 toaster,
> > with qmail and vmailmgr.
> >=20
> > I installed and ran COPS (a really old one).
> > It screamed at me about the /var/spool/uucppublic
> > directory as beeing *world* writable.
> > It barfed on the passwd and group having the wrong
> > number of fields (I assume this is because of the
> > use of perl 5 vs perl 3 at the time of creation
> > of COPS, something like @_ changed meaning ?)
> > Question: is the permission of /var/spool/uucppublic
> > correct once in drwxrwxr-x ? (I do not use uucp,
> > but...)
>=20
> Cops is VERY old and outdated.  If you would like some more recent securi=
ty tools, visit http://www.securityfocus.com, they also have a bug tracking=
 archive that you can search through by OS.  Keeping security on a system i=
s alot more than installing the packages from /usr/ports/security.
ce for IIS, internet security scanner, http://www.iss.net