Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2001 04:18:57 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Michael Class <michael_class@gmx.net>
Cc:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: oji-plugin with patchset 4

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 06:53:22PM +0200, Michael Class wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Greg Lewis wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 11:05:14AM +0200, Michael Class wrote:
> > > just as a datapoint, after a bit of fiddling, the netscape-plugins
> > > do build from patchset 4. When I do a
> >
> > What fiddling did you need to do?  I've been told the patch isn't
> > applying correctly in terms of the plugin, was that it?
>
> The patch is generating the new files for the directory
>
> j2sdk1.3.1/ext/plugin/oji-plugin/include/bsd/jdk12/
>
> in the root-directory, because the bsd/jdk12 dir does not exist.
> I had to manually create the directory and move the files.

Right.  I've got another report of that.  I believe we had this problem
with 1.2.2.  Basically, cvs diffs which create a new file in a new
directory don't apply correctly.  Its ok to do a new file in an existing
directory, but it won't DTRT if its a new directory.  I believe we
can fix this the same way it was fixed for the 1.2.2 patchset, I just
forgot to take it into account for this release :(.

> In addition to this I had to add the include and library-paths
> to gtk/glib and the mozilla-dir (even though I have them in the
> "standard" dirs where ports will install them)
>
> I did this in
>
> j2sdk1.3.1/ext/plugin/build/solaris/GNUmakefile
>
> after this I was able to compile the plugins.

You shouldn't have to set them in the makefile itself.  They are only
set in the makefile if they aren't already set, so you should be able
to set them in your environment and have them work.  Did you try this
and find it didn't work?

> > > Still some way to go ... anything I could to to debug this
> > > further?
> >
> > If you're interested, try compiling both Mozilla and the plugin with
> > -g and then run Mozilla under gdb and see if you can determine where
> > the memory fault is occurring.
>
> I am not sure if I will have time to do this. Even the compile
> alone will take some serious amount of time, not even to mention
> the disk- and memory-space needed to run this puppie.

Understood.  I think my machine has burnt more CPU cycles compiling the
JDK than running setiathome :(.

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Phone : (801) 765 1887