Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 15:52:25 -0500
From:      "John" <j.telford@sympatico.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Duplicate localhost IP's on a network ?

On a dual homed 3.4-RELEASE FreeBSD firewall I'm suddenly getting:
"/kernel: arp: 00:c0:4f:68:71:8e is using my IP address 127.0.0.1!"
The 2 internal cards macs are set as ether 00:d0:b7:85:bb:ce and
00:d0:b7:85:bd:84

I  didn't think the localhost address could get loose on the network ?
How do I find the offending box in a mixed Macintosh/Pc network of 60
systems, switches and network printers ?

What method can I use to scan the network for MAC addresses mapped to IP
addresses in hopes the system also has a regular IP address running ?

Thanks, John.