Date:      Thu, 1 May 1997 10:20:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        Shimon@i-Connect.Net, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, julian@whistle.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Continual Education (was Re: A Desparate Plea)

> > interface to it to compete with linux make xconfig), why bother with LKM's?
> > Especially when they do not to load/unload in a friendly manner.
> > With memory prices being what they are, a ``huge'' kernel will cost about
> > $8.00 more than a tiny one.  Ebmedded systems?  commercial non-source
> > products?
>
> They're also nice for people who don't have the hdd space to
> compile kernels...

Or want to use commercially restricted drivers.  Like an Adaptec HIM
module for their RAID controller that lets it be a RAID controller
instead of turning it into a standard dumb controller.

Or people who want to use the code for POS, and so don't want build
tools, but do want to be able to fix the vagries of the hardware by
plugging driver modules in and out.

Or people subscribed to -questions who are tired of answering a lot
of configuration questions that they wouldn't have to answer if the
process of configuration was less complex.

Etc..

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---