Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2001 10:49:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Tony Jones <tony@rtd.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.x-4.x upgrade questions (gotchas, FS sizes etc)

Hi

I purchased my FreeBSD system pre-built and for several years ran 2.x-stable.

Last year when I upgraded (from source) from 2.x to 3.x I found that my
filesystem sizes were too small for 3.x. I had to hand remove "unneeded"
files from / and /usr to get a make install to work.

Shortly I'll be upgrading to 4.x and want to fix the filesystems to avoid
having to repeat the above backery. I have the default filesystem sizes for
4.0 noted down.

I'm looking at doing the following:
	1) Backup system to scsi tape
	2) Boot off fixit floppies
	3) Remake / and /usr filesystems (4.x sizes), move other FSs around to
	   accomodate this.
	4) Restore from tape
	5) Check system is functional
	6) Upgrade (from source) to 4.x-stable.

Are there any gotchas I should be aware of?

One issue that comes to mind is disklabelling. If I relabel root will I need
to reinstall the boot blocks? Are they on the 3.x fixit disks?

Also, are there any issues in upgrading from 3.x to 4.x from source. When I
upgraded from 2.x to 3.x there was an issues document on the website (new
device, bootblocks and elf features of 3.x). Is there an equivalent document
for 3.x to 4.x source upgrades ?

If you could CC me directly on any replies that would be great.

Thanks

Tony