Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2000 05:12:22 -0500
From:      Paul Timmins <paul@timmins.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing to NFS root using PCMCIA NIC

This may seem like a really weird thing to do, because it is. I have this
laptop with a toasted HDD, and i want to netboot it. I don't see any docs
that seem to cover this admittedly strange configuration, but I am sure
there is a really really hackish way I can at least get this up and running.
I have the NFS root mounted on /mnt. I am ready to install. Is there any
way of telling the installer to install to this? I am ready.
I am not worried about the startup process, I'll take care of that later. I
DO want the base install on it tho, and would really like to avoid doing
this all at a command line.
This thing still has a working processor and system board, and that is all
I care about. I once installed slackware on it using a parallel port zip as
my root, but this has more coolness potential, that and I am starting to
like BSD alot. :-)
Thanks!
-Paul
PS: I actually have everything setup to do this as I write this letter. I
am going to sleep, and not turning off the machine, lest I forget how I got
to this point, but I got here, so the quicker the response, the better.

By Popular request I have moved my signature to:
http://198.87.147.223/paulsig.txt

Paul Timmins
paul@timmins.net
http://www.timmins.net/
ICQ#: 15422024 - Home
         21888714 - Work Laptop
"By definition, if you don't stand up for anything you stand for nothing"
     ---Paul Timmins