Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 15:58:54 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   nbsmtp 0.8 doesn't handle "name <address>" addresses?

Hi there,

looking for a lightweight sendmail replacement I come across nbsmtp.
Looks like it could be exactly what I'm after, but I have a problem
with it. Maybe someone on the list can help me solve it.

This is the nbsmtp related config in my .muttrc (it may wrap here):

set sendmail="/usr/bin/env nbsmtp -d mail.cz -h mail.cz -f
cynic@mail.cz"

With recipient in the form "To: user@domain.tld", the mail gets
delivered just fine. However, as soon as the recipient list is in
the form "To: Name <user@domain.tld>", the message gets bounced back
by the recipients pop3 server, or my smtp server, depending on how
much the address got screwed.

 --- The message cannot be delivered to the following address. ---

 "=?iso-8859-1?b?u2jhbmvsb3bh?=jarmila<xxx"@yyy.cz    Mailbox
 unknown or not accepting mail.
 501 5.5.4 Invalid Address

Of course, messages sent out with sendmail are delivered just fine.

This is a snip from the nbsmtp web page which I understand as a
confirmation that I'm not doing anything wrong. Frankly, I'm confused.

# I use the Mutt MUA (mail reader). So I added a line to .muttrc like so
#
#set sendmail="nbsmtp -d fastdial.net -h smtp.fastdial.net -f
#drysdam@fastdial.net"

TIA,

Roman