Date:      Tue, 8 May 2001 11:00:32 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: We seriously need a cleanup on ftp-master

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Dan Langille wrote:

> By snapshots, are we only referring to Alpha snapshots?  If so, please
> ignore the rest of my message.
>
> I know that the i386 snapshots are very useful.  Rather than install
> -release, you can install a snapshot and avoid the cvsup, build world,
> etc.  That capabaility is very useful for newbies.

i guess i was referring to both.  IMHO newbies tend to stay with releases
rather than install snapshots (even for i386).

perhaps what would be useful here is a post of dir.sizes limited to perhaps
3 levels (?).  or are people getting tired of discussing this ?

personally i'm finding it good to get a feel for what other mirror admins
out there want to / can actually carry.  yes, 50G+ is unmaintainable
for us with the current layout - it might not be with some structural and
mirror friendly changes (ftp master was a good first step).

while i like to think of a 10-15G freebsd archive, i simply can't see it
happening, when just packages-4.3-release for i386 is 4G.  it doesn't seem
plausible to have less than 30G in the archive now, and over 12 months
it can only grow more - if some steps are taken now to realise that the
disk growth is going to happen it might be possible to deal with it in
a sane manner.

-jason