Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:34:28 +0000
From:      markzero <mark@darklogik.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Electricity bill [was: Re: Leaving a Computer Running ?]

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

> * Erik Trulsson [2005-02-05 23:55 +0100]
> >  Also keep in mind that if you leave the computer running all the time
> >  it will show up on your electricity bill, so if you wish to save power
> >  you should shut down your computer over night.
>=20
> Given that your house needs to be warmed up (a presumption I think is=20
> correct for Sweden as you appears to be sending from; it sure does for=20
> Norway, I don't know about the OP), it does not matter where that heat=20
> comes from. If your other heating is termostatically controlled, then=20
> running your computer all night long uses no less electricity than leavin=
g=20
> your heating on. Eventually, all those kWhs ends up as heat. You might=20
> just as well use it for something usefull in the way from electric to=20
> thermic energy, and not just send your electrons through an electric=20
> resistance for nothing (except heat-generation)!
>=20

Actually, I've found that five machines, each with two disks, onboard
graphics and sound, an average 700mhz P3 with a 250w power supply
haven't really made a dent on my electricity bill. In the summer of
last year, however, I bought an air conditioner and this added =A340
(roughly $75) to my bill. I see I'm not the only one that thought of
using the servers AS the heating!=20

Mark

--=20
PGP: http://www.darklogik.org/pub/pgp/pgp.txt
B776 43DC 8A5D EAF9 2126 9A67 A7DA 390F DEFF 9DD1

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp--