Date:      Sat, 18 May 1996 17:08:20 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow tty updates and high load, but idle CPU

>     When I say "slow", I mean that the screen is redrawn in "chunks".
> For example, if I hit ^L in a Pine window to refresh the screen, the
> screen clears, and groups of 5 or 6 lines will reappear, exactly one
> second apart.  This "chunky updating" appears to happen with 600-
> character blocks or so.  It is not oriented on line boundaries, since
> a refresh chunk can stop in the middle of a line.

I have seen the behavior once with my P6-200 worstation on 2.1R.  It
started one afternoon (a few days agon) after the machine had been up
for days.  Xterm windows and other more-or-less tty-looking things
started updating in chunks every 1 second.  I tried killing things
(like the X server, etc...) and other diddling but only a reboot
cured it.   This has only happened once in several months of almost
constant heavy use, but it was rather scary once it started....

Robert Withrow, Tel: +1 617 592 8935, Net: witr@rwwa.COM