Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 2014 18:30:38 +0100
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Geom Journaling on / volume

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 16:24:47 +0200
Julien Cigar wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 10:52:37AM -0300, "Dante F. B. Col=F2" wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >=20
> > I would like to use geom journal on all volumes, is there is anyway
> > to use it on / volume too ?

I presume so since google turns-up a lot of discussions of problems
from a few years ago.

You'd probably have to do it from a different boot disk and either add
a journal partition to an existing root or create partitions for a new
install. IIWY I'd try it out first on a disposable drive before doing
anything dangerous.

I don't think it's worth doing unless you have a large root with /usr
on it. If you keep /tmp files off a small root, it doesn't get many
writes.=20

>=20
> Nowadays SU+J should be used instead of gjournal

No, it shouldn't, they do different things. SU+J is a replacement
for fsck -B which recovers lost blocks and inodes in the
background. It's not a journalled filesystem  in the normal sense
of the term. I don't know if it's been improved but SU+J got a
reputation for being unreliable.