Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 15:10:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jeremy Sigmon <jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Does RSH ignore ttys if .rhost present?

On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Jeremy Sigmon wrote:

> I thought that if a .rhosts file was present then the ttys file
> was ignored.  I have a .rhosts file in ~root , but I cannot rsh
> to it.  Works fine with non root.  If it does not ignore ttys does
> anyone know how to get it to do so if one exists?
> thanks

Somebody correct me on this, but doesn't this allow the root user on the
remote machine to gain root access to your machine?  That doesn't sound
like a great idea.

What program are you trying to run though rsh?  Remember it actually logs
in as root, so if the port isn't secure then it won't be permitted.