Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 00:20:39 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ahh, I think I see part of the problem.. (CAM bouncing)

>I tried the previous patch that you posted but had a pretty spectacular
>explosion on a BT545S..  It "found" devices all the way up to da11 (at
>target 2 lun 5) and failed to mount root.  The probes were reporting
>garbage..  Hmm..  Are all the allocations being zeroed?

I don't think that is the problem.  It is more likely caused by using
the wrong dmat on line 261 of bt_isa.c:

                if (bus_dmamem_alloc(bt->sense_dmat, <= Used to be mailbox_dmat

This would allocate the incorrect amount of sense bounce space causing
untold trouble.

>I added a 'if (addr == 0) return (1)' type test at the end of the vlfilter
>function, but the 445S doesn't work properly either.  Things get SEGV
>during bootup to multi-user (eg: sendmail, nmbd etc), and the system
>usually panics with a 'vm_fault on nofault entry' type panic fairly
>shortly after that.  I suspect the bios shadow avoidance has kicked in and
>a bug has been triggered (it doesn't work on the 545S at all, so that's
>why I suspect the bouncing).

It is probably the sense buffering bug again, but it is only triggered
after more commands are run as the VL card has more CCBs than the ISA
card and the size of the mailbox_dmat is based on number of CCBs.

I hate writing code blind.  I'd rather catch my coding bugs myself than
have others suffer through it. 8-)

--
Justin