Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 23:40:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>, grog@lemis.de, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I write this SGML stuff?

On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, John Fieber wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > OK.  if "ccc" means what I think it does, column 1 centered, column 2
> > centered, and column 3 centered, this is great.  There should be others,
> > like l, r (obvious), s (continue column), and n(decimal).  Let me look at
> > the linuxdoc stuff, see how this works (or doesn't).  If it's broke in
> > troff mode, I'll fix it.
>
> c = center
> l = left align
> r = right align
> | = a vertical line (between columns)
>
> I'm not sure what the semantics of s are, but n doesn't appear to
> be directly supported in LaTeX's tabular enivornment, although
> this may have changed in LaTeX2e.  My TeX is is a little rusty.

S means span, make the column the s belongs to part of the previous column.
I'm certain LaTeX2e covers it, but I just leant out my two LaTeX
manuals.  I can do it in troff, I need help just now in LaTeX2e.

BTW, lets stick to LaTeX2e, not get older version stuff.  It often does
make a difference.

Otherwise, you have to wait until I get my manuals back.

Doing troff now.

> Without some tweaks to sgmlfmt, we are limited to the
> intersection of the troff and LaTeX table formats.
>
> -john

> == http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |