Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 1996 20:43:31 -0600
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net (David Kelly)
To:        jas@flyingfox.com
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: motherboard and Ethernet card recommendations

At 8:25 AM 3/27/96, Georg-W. Koltermann wrote:
>Wasn't there some talking about buggy UMC chips on that board?  Or
>does the ...TP4N board use different chips than the ...TP4XE?
>
>And, BTW, does anyone know if their just-to-be released Motherboards
>with the 430HX (aka Triton-2) use any buggy chips?  I'm about to buy
>one of those when they've arrived the local dealers.  I checked
>http://192.72.126.1/Products/spec.html and found nothing apparent.
>Nice pictures, though!

I've been thinking about a 430HX too. My thinking is NOT to buy a Triton-I
because the it doesn't support parity memory while the Triton-II one-ups
the parity checkers by adding ECC. I'll do without EDO memory any day for
parity check or ECC. Have never seen parity-EDO memory for sale.

About 5 years ago I was running a 12 machine SGI installation. (9)
4D/320GTX, (1) 4D/340S, and (2) 4D/380S. All had either 64M or 128M of ECC
memory (in 1M SIMMs). One lemon had a corrected single-bit parity error
about twice per day. Never crashed claiming the problem was parity. Uptimes
were the same as the other machines, typically months. Only one machine
never had a parity error (that I know of). Today I have a memory failure
phobia.  :-)

--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@hiwaay.net
                - Thomas Edison