Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 1996 13:36:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Laptops. Is something missing?

On 20 Nov 1996, Peter Mutsaers wrote:

>     JH> Also, someone posted this URL a while back, which should help you out:
>     JH>   http://www.mt.cs.keio.ac.jp/person/hosokawa/PAO/
>
> Aha, this URL is very useful. There is a complete pcmcia package with
> many drivers. I have a Megahertz pcmcia ethernet card which is
> supported. It is only surprising that this is not in the standard
> (current) kernel since it would save a lot of people the work of
> patching the kernel sources etc.

The problem is that they have to remove most of the devices from the boot
floppy to fit the pccard stuff on.  So you end up with a really bare
boot floppy that may not work for everyone because they had to remove the
Seagate SCSI card driver and your FreeBSD disk is hanging off one of
those.

Second, the PAO floppies are built post-RELEASE by someone outside the
FreeBSD developer's team, so when the CD goes to press the new boot floppy
hasn't been rolled yet.  Putting the last RELEASE's PAO floppy on the
current RELEASE CDROM doesn't make sense when you have to do a net install
anyway.  :(

I suppose the developer team could pull Hosokawa in, it's a question if
he's willing to do that.

Third, the machines that don't work with the default GENERIC kernel are
few and far between.  I've seen three machines just recently with problems
detecting the 3c589s (one personally) but that is a rash.  Normally I
don't get much questions about it on -questions.

I agree that it would be nice to have that support on the CDROM as an
alternate boot floppy image.  But it's a question if FreeBSD wants to
incorporate (and support) that software.