Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:01:50 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Erik Sabowski <airyk@sdf.lonestar.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports vs. packages

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 08:27:17AM -0700, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> writes:
>=20
> > If you want to enable optional settings in the port, you have no
> > choice.  If you insist on adding local CFLAGS customizations, you have
> > no choice.  Otherwise the only real benefit to using ports is the warm
> > fuzzy you get from having compiled the software on your own machine.
>=20
> I thought that another (small) benefit was that the programs would be
> compiled for your Athlon or Pentium or 486 instead of for a 386.
>=20
> Ports give that benefit without changing CFLAGS, right?  IIRC, the only
> thing the beginners docs (handbook?) suggested for CFLAGS is "-O -pipe".

No, that will give you a port which is exactly the same as the package
you could install, which is also built using those flags (those flags
cause gcc to produce code which can run on anything from the lowliest
386 to the mightiest athlon or pentium 4).  There might be some
differences if the binary is statically linked, or if it detects
optional software components on your system at compile-time, but if
you want processor-specific optimizations you have to tell gcc to
enable them.  The canonical way to do this in FreeBSD is to use the
CPUTYPE variable in /etc/make.conf.

Kris
--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+--