Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 1996 19:07:29 +0000
From:      David Goddard <d.m.goddard@ic.ac.uk>
To:        Tasos Drosopoulos <drosos@abrdr.dreo.dnd.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request installation help

At 09:59 22/03/96 -0500, you wrote:
[...]
>My questions:
>
>1. I assume from a response to a previous question that I don't need a
>   boot floppy. However, the installation bootdisk seems to boot directly
>   with the default installation kernel. Entering a ? as fast as I can at
>   the boot prompt to see what, if anything, I should input doesn't seem to
>   work. What should I input anyway if FreeBSD is on my second hard drive?

I'm not a FreeBSD guru, but I had similar problems recently when I installed
to a  second drive.  2.1.0 apparently has a bug^H^H^Hfeature and doesn't
install the boot manager properly when you do this - or worse,  trashes it
(it did for me ;-).  Assuming you went through the install properly, you
will want to manually put a boot manager in.  I'm using OS-BS, that I
downloaded from the FTP site (under utilities/dos I think) and is apparently
also on the CD-ROM.  Run this in dos to set up a boot manager.

>2. OK, I went several times through the Novice installation procedure and
>   asked for installing the default boot manager. From what I understand
>   I should get a prompt when booting to choose the OS I want. This
>   doesn't happen. LILO is still there. Do I have to explicitly take it
>   out? Is it not overwritten?

OS-BS should now be there instead of LILO..

>3. What I want, is to be able to boot DOS, FreeBSD or Linux from a boot
>   manager, either LILO or the FreeBSD one. Does anyone have such a setup
>   and can offer me some advice?

No, but OS-BS should let you set this up quite easily.

>4. Finally, from the installation procedure, I should be able to set up
>   an ethernet connection to install the rest of the FreeBSD packages ( I
>   think). I install the BIN now from my DOS partition. The options I get
>   are for serial and parallel port connections. My 3com3 ethernet card
>   doesn't seem to be recognized. Am I missing any network packages? Or do I
>   have to use the DOS partition for everything?

Sounds like you have a configuration problem.  Assuming you are now booting
OK from the HD, type '-c <return>' before it goes into the automatic boot
sequence.  Type 'visual' to get a better interface to the config utility and
you will may see something like '5 conflicts' in reverse video at the top of
the screen.

Go to the networking section and find the settings for your card.  Make sure
it has a unique IRQ and addresses.  Best way to start off is by disabling
devices that you don't need.  You will also want to check that BSD has the
correct memory and IO addresses for the card.  Look them up in the
documentation for the card or, failing that, look at the screen output when
you boot DOS - it will probably print then out then.

When you exit config, the kernel will boot as normal.  You can also do the
-c thing when you boot from the installation floppy, but it doesn't remember
your changes :-(

>Come on guys. Help me out here!

With any luck, you may also get a response from someone who knows what
they're talking about ;-)

Dave

David Goddard
Management Information Services, Imperial College, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Telephone:  +44 (0)171 594 7282,  Fax:  +44 (0)171 594 7277
If it can go wrong, it wSegmentation fault (core dumped)