Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 11:05:31 -0600
From:      "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@visi.com>
To:        "FreeBSD-Current" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Boot of secondary IDE master by 3.0.1 branch

I know that this subject has been beaten to death, but I have to ask a very
general question.

Will /boot/loader be able to boot an elf kernel off of the secondary IDE
master (wd2s1a) by the time the source code branches of on the 15th (date
?)?  I assume that from that point on we will see both a 3.0 -current
and -stable tree.  I realize that -stable will take time to stablize, but I
would assume that there would have to be a known path to stablization, or it
would be no different than -current.  I was under the impression that this
would require a kernel change so that it would recognize the $rootdev
variable as the device to boot from.  If this isn't to be in by the branch
date, which branch should I follow more closely to get this?

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@visi.com