Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 07:02:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      X Philius <xphilius@yahoo.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Russ Pagenkopf <russ.pagenkopf@uas.alaska.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld problem

Ruslan,
A few questions below...

--- Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> [Please wrap your lines at 65 or so characters.]

Sorry. Hope this is better.

> Yes, 4.1R -> 4.4R upgrade path was broken.  This has been
fixed later, and 4.1R -> 4.4-STABLE upgrade path is possible.

> Unfortunately, we can't backport the fixes to already
> released (sticky) version (4.4-RELEASE).

I have read through UPDATING for 4.4 Release, and I do not see
any obvious solution. I have just upgraded my dev server to 4.4
Stable with no problems, but I think I'd rather be cautious and
keep my prod server on 4.4 Release and then track the security
updates.

Questions:

- Can I use Makefile.upgrade to prepare my system to build 4.4
Release? Or...

- Is my only option is to do a binary upgrade using Sysinstall,
or start from scratch?

It looks like I am not the only one going through a rough patch
here upgrading from 4.1 or 4.1.1, hope these questions are not
too redundant.

Thanks in advance.
Jason