Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 22:19:20 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Java on FreeBSD)

Gary writes:

> Looks like you've developed a religious detachment
> in this case.

No, I just have a thin wallet.

> Saving developer's time and money gets you a
> product sooner, or more featureful, or cheaper,
> or some combination of those.

Only once.  And then you get upgrades and updates bloated with features again,
and again, and again.  And you get them a lot faster when the code is thrown
together in Java, and they run slow even from the beginning, not just after
version 29.

> Do you use only applications coded in assembly language?

I use applications compiled into machine language, when I can.

I don't care what language a program is written in, as long as it runs fast.
But the Java software I've used has invariably broken records for slowness, and
I'm just not interested in waiting for it to execute.