Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 20:24:11 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: source code layout?

Matthew N. Dodd scribbled this message on Apr 19:
> Ok, we've got sys/pci for PCI devices which as near as I can tell is
> fairly i386 specific which should imply that it be located in
> sys/i386/pci.
>
> We've got sys/dev for device files that should be arch independent but
> some aren't.
>
> I'm working on a driver that would like to have the isa specific bits in
> sys/i386/isa and the EISA bits in sys/i386/eisa, and the rest in
> sys/i386/dev/tce, but we have no sys/i386/dev.
>
> Should we?
>
> I don't believe these bits (and others floating in the source tree) belong
> in sys/dev.

I personally think we should go with a src tree layout closer to that
of NetBSD...  but I'm also working on rewriting the bus/device system
so that ALL devices use the EXACT same interface to the bus... this
will allow us to write a single device driver for ns8390 parts, and
simply write a detect routine around it, and we get complete support
for all types of busses..  this of course will mean a rewrite of all
the current device drivers which is going to be a big job...

this is also going to allow a multitude of other things that will hinge
on kld... such as complete dynamic device drivers...

I haven't made much progress, but a spec is at
http://resnet.uoregon.edu:6971/~jmg/FreeBSD/busdevice.html...  this
isn't a final, but it will be similar to what you see...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                      Modem Rev/FAX: +1 541 346 9237
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD
	    Don't trust anyone you don't have the source for