Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 22:24:44 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        <absinthe@pobox.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Java on FreeBSD

Dylan writes:

> Why are you debating on things you evidently
> know little about?

Why are you resorting to personal attacks, instead of debating?

> Java actually works very well under FreeBSD --
> had you read my original post, you might have
> noted that I've got 28 instances of VM running
> across 14 FreeBSD 4.4 machines.

Problem solved, then!

> There are many fine developers out there trying
> to advance the usability of FreeBSD's Java implement-
> ations beyond what they are today.

Hmm.

> Please avoid trying to speak on behalf of the
> entire FreeBSD community ...

See above.

> Those views are not at all a FreeBSD philosophy,
> AFAIK.

Does FreeBSD have a codified philosophy?  Is that anything like a dogma?

> It's not for airing personal opinions on things
> unless someone asks for it -- and in that case,
> it's not necessary to Reply-All.

And yet here you are, replying to all, and giving your personal opinions.  Hmm.

> Some people (unfortunately) see a plea for help
> as soapbox for their opinions... as if anyone cares
> what you think of Java?

Hmm.  See above.  You've told us what you think of Java.

> FreeBSD is a platform for Java.  Java is a very
> successful language and works well for many reasons,
> for many people -- some of which will use it on FreeBSD.
> I hope more do.  Deal with it.

Fine with me, as long as they aren't writing anything that I'll have to run on
my machines.  After all, if I wanted 386 performance on a Pentium 4, I'd install
Windows XP instead of FreeBSD.