Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 2002 09:24:38 -0400
From:      Jason Stephenson <jjas@engr.uky.edu>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DST vs. Cron = Burp

To quote the man page (crontab (5)):

BUGS
If you're in one of the 70-odd countries that observe Daylight Savings
Time, jobs scheduled during the rollback or advance will be affected.
In general, it's not a good idea to schedule jobs during this period.

For US timezones (except parts of IN, AZ, and HI) the time shift occurs
at 2AM local time.  For others, the output of the zdump(8) program's
verbose (-v) option can be used to determine the moment of time shift.

I make it a rule to never schedule daily or Sunday jobs between 1:00 and
3:00 AM (when DST and ST changes go into effect in my area). Jobs
scheduled between 2:00 and 3:00 AM will not run during the DST advance,
and jobs scheduled between 1:00 and 2:00 AM may run twice during the ST
rollback.

If you know your job will never run on a Sunday in late March, early
April, or October, then you should be all right scheduling it between
1:00 and 3:00 AM.

NOTE that I have set follow ups to Questions.