Date:      25 Jun 2000 04:48:08 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Are recent snaps any better regarding Netgear?

Are recent snapshots handling Netgear cards any better?

A report from a Toshiba 4005CDS user, inexperienced with FreeBSD
(linux background)

Using 4.0-20000624-STABLE snap

Pentium II, 233 mhz.  96 MB Synchronous Dram
Netgear FA410TX pcmcia network card
Noteworthy 3com 56K modem card

This post is long and possibly boring but I thought it might help get
things a little nicer if  posted.

Since it is long I've included a summary at the beginning.

card.  From reports on freebsd-mobile,  I understood the recent  snaps
had fixed some of the problems with Netgear cards.  I've found them to fail
on my machine.  Finding only the modem card, and offering no possiblity of network
activity during install.

Initial boot with kern.flp goes off with out a hitch, switch to
mfsroot.flp and arrive at the Kernel config menus screen.

I choose the full-screen visual.  Its not realy clear to me what is
supposed to happen... Even after reading the help provided at ?

Am I supposed to get rid of all drivers I don't need or just the ones
that have conflicts?  To stay on the safe side I decide to only
resolve the conflicting drivers.

There are 8 conflicts, all under `network'

I don't really understand IRQs and how to set them but here is what showed
up.

Active Driver                                           Dev     IRQ     Port
IBM Etherjed, CS89x0-based Ethernet adaptors            cs0             0x300
NE1000, NE2000,3c503, WD/SMC80xx Ethernet ad.           ed0     10      0x200
[Note -ed Is the one above likely to be one I need?]
Fujitsu MD86960A/MD869685A Ethernet ad.                 fe0             0x300
AT&T Starlan 10 and EN100, 3C507, NI5210 Ethernet ad.   ie0     5       0x300
DEC Etherworks 2 and 3 Ethernet ad.                     le0     10      0x280
Isolan, NOvell NE2100/NE32-VL Ethernet ad.              lnc0    10      0x200
SMC/Megahertz Ethernet Ad.                              sn0     10      0x300

I only count 7 here but the screen insists there are 8, no other Headings have
conflicts reported.

I move all conflicting items to inactive with <del>.  7 <del>s and no more
conflicts are reported.  Press Q and Y.. proceed

Boot screen starts to scroll by.  I can find no way to Freeze it on my keyboard
Although once boot up is over a `Pause/Break' button allows scrolling terminal
output.

So I'm unable to write down what passes by.

A dialog shows up saying

`User Confirmation Request'
Found PC-card slot(s)
Use PC-card device as installation media?

I choose YES ... proceed

Another dialog box..
Please Select free address area used by PC-card controller
" . . . . . . .
If you're uncertain of detailed specification of your hardware
leave it untouched (default == 0xd0000)

I'm `uncertain' so I choose `Default'

Next... another selection dialog

`Please select IRQs that can be used by PC-cards'
[NOTE -ed the very next line says;
"Please specify an IRQs that CANNOT be used by PC-card (emphasis in original -ed)"]

Again I choose the `default' IRQ 10, 11

New Message box "Now we start initializing PC-card controller . . ."
Press OK

Message "Initializing PC-card controller
Watching the action on debug screen I see:
DEBUG: ioctl93, TIOCCONS, NULL) = 0 (success)
Code 128 not found
Code 128 not found
Code Unknown ignored
Code 131 not found
Code 131 not found
Code Unknown ignored
DEBUG: Add mapping for /dev/cuaa0 to s10

[Note -ed  Apparently it has found only my modem card , nothing that looks
like it might be ethernet reported.  Whereas, when I made this same attempt with
floppy images from 4.0-RELEASE My network card was found and mapped.  (Didn't work
but was found)]

Main Menu
I choose `Begin standard installation . . ."

Message about the coming fdisk screen pops up OK <ENTER>

My partitions are alread set from previous attempts so I leave them as is:
It shows:
Name    type            Desc            Subtype
  -     6               unused          0
ad0s1   2               fat             11
  -     6               unused          0
ad0s2   4               extended        5
[NOTE -ed `extended' is actully a series of logic partitions with Linux ext2 file
systems]
ad0s3   3               freebsd         165
  -     6               unused          0

Q to accept

next a boot manager screen pops up..
I choose Install the FreeBSD Boot Manager OK <ENTER>

Message screen about the partition editor coming up .. OK <ENTER>

This is already setup too, I made a small change in swap and /var
giving swap 100 MB less than the default 196MB and 20 over the
defaults for var at 50MB Leaving 2105MB for user.  Root"/" set to
50MB.

I had to remark the mount points.  Q to accept

Choose Distributions I choose the Kernel-Developer just to make sure I
will get all the tools and files to rebuild the kernel

[Note -ed I found this dialog somewhat confusing. It claims the user
can "pick a canned distribution set and then fine-tune it with the
Custom item.  Choose an item by pressing [SPACE].  When you are
finished, choose the Exit or press enter"

Pressing space causes that choice to be made and the dialog disappears
immediately there is no chance to `choose EXIT or press enter".  Or to
fine tune anything.  If you press the space key thre dialog is
history.  It would be nice if the space and enter action were consistent
throughout the install routine]

User Confirmation Request
Do you wish to install cryptographic software
NO <ENTER>

[NOTE: -ed Although I've said `no' I'm still queried as to whether I am act-
ually a resident of US] YES <ENTER>

User Confirmation Request
Would you like to install FreeBSD ports collection
YES<ENTER>

[Note: -ed This returns me to the Distributions screen..  I guess this is where
you make the custom choice if wanted.] CANCEL <ENTER>

Choose Installation media dialog appears, I choose:
Install from an FTP server [-ed although probably doomed to failure since no
ethernet was found] OK <ENTER>

Select a site ... I choose the URL option since I want to install from
the distro sitting on my desktop unit running Redhat linux 6.2 which
is setup as an anonymous ftp server.  Insert the address:
ftp://192.168.xx.xx/pub/FreeBSD <ENTER>

I'm shown a screen with:
lp0 Parellel (PLIP)
s10 SLIP
ppp0 PPP

[Note: -ed I'm now dead in the water, there is no choice for my ethernet card.]