Date:      Sat, 29 Feb 2020 11:29:18 -0800
From:      Chris <portmaster@BSDforge.com>
To:        Mateusz Piotrowski <0mp@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: When to use TMPPLIST instead of pkg-plist?

On Sat, 29 Feb 2020 11:02:23 +0100 Mateusz Piotrowski 0mp@FreeBSD=2Eorg said

> On 2/29/20 12:15 AM, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 10:06:19PM +0100, Mateusz Piotrowski wrote:
> >> Do we have any (perhaps unwritten) policy for when to use TMPPLIST? An=
> > when
> >> should a port maintainer stick to pkg-plist?
> > We do not=2E  A port maintainer should stick to pkg-plist=2E
>=20
> That's what I thought=2E
>=20
> Is there a reason for it? Does it all boil down to that fact that=20
> pkg-plist is much more explicit and easier to debug/review? Or there is=
=20
> another reason?
TMPPLIST is an artifact of the QA process when making a port=2E It is used
for comparison to what you, as a port maintainer claim is the pkg-plist,
and whats found that looks as the actual plist=2E When a discrepancy occurs=2E
You're warned, and instructed to make changes as required=2E
The thing is, because of so many variables, that TMPPLIST isn't always
correct=2E So to rely on it, as Mathieu stated, would be *bad* policy=2E As
memory serves; it's also the product of make make-plist=2E

Hope that helps in clarification=2E :)

--Chris

FreeBSD 14=2E0-FUTURE #0=2E000 cray256