Date:      Tue, 8 May 2001 11:34:52 +0100 (BST)
From:      Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To:        wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony Z600-HEK - un-recommendation

> This is just a quick e-mail to let everyone know my experiences with
> my Sony Z600-HEK.

I'm sending this from a Z600-TEK which is similar.  I've been very
pleased with it.

> 1. Screen brightess - Only works under windows. When you press fn-5,
> it pops up a brightness control in the center of the screen, and you
> use the jog dial to adjust it.

True, but I think that might get fixed sometime.  Someone already
did a driver for the jog dial in -current, and I believe various
other functions are on the same chip.

> 2. Suspend - same thing

Suspend to disk, yes.  Zzz works fine.

> 3. LCD / Monitor selection - same thing.

True again, but you can use an external monitor by having it connected
when you boot, which is fine for my needs.

Another flaw is the Windows-only modem.

Several things surprised me by just working - X, USB mouse, the USB
floppy (looks like a SCSI disk) and a wireless ethernet PC card.

I'd like to be able to disable the touch pad when I have a mouse
attached - anyone know how to do that?

-- Richard