Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:51:10 -0300
From:      Gustavo De Nardin <gustavodn@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lingua franca file system Linux-NetBSD-FreeBSD?

On 24 August 2010 20:48, Gustavo De Nardin <gustavodn@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 August 2010 06:53, Thomas Mueller <mueller6727@bellsouth.net> wrote=
:
>> What is the best choice for a file system that can be read, and safely w=
ritten to, by Linux, NetBSD and FreeBSD?

> I've been trying NTFS(-3g). It's been going well, with even occasional
> Windows thrown in the mix. But it is very slow, mostly, I believe, due
> to being an userspace implementation. And I do keep backups.

I thought I must correct myself: the problem is not exaclt it being
slow, but rather using a lot of CPU. On non fast machines, you may
easily be bound by the CPU, not I/O.

>> With NetBSD through 5.1_RC3, I got "unsupported inode size" when trying =
to mount Linux ext2fs partition from NetBSD.

> I've tested ext2/3 in the past, found it very risky to mix OSs (Linux
> and FreeBSD only, though). FreeBSD's Ext2 seemed very lacky regarding
> new FS features. I wouldn't risk it.
>

>> There is the obvious possibility of using msdos (FAT32); I could run Fre=
eDOS on such a partition as well as using the partition to share data betwe=
en Linux, NetBSD and FreeBSD, and FreeDOS too. =C2=A0Drawback is some probl=
ems getting long file names straight, and lack of case sensitivity. =C2=A0B=
ut maybe FAT32 is the safest choice?

> IMHO NTFS should be better, also, NTFS-3G has an (opensource
> friendly?) company behind it:
> http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-download/
>

>> Linux, NetBSD and FreeBSD are supposed to be able to read and write NTFS=
 partition, but I see from a very recent thread on this list, subject "Re: =
External HD", that writing to NTFS partition is very dangerous, and I figur=
e that would be also true for NetBSD and Linux, and any other non-MS-Window=
s-NT-line OS that might have support for NTFS.

> I haven't seen recent horror stories about NTFS use on Linux, since
> the userspace/fuse implementations. Haven't had any problemas myself
> too. Except for a hiccup: one of the implementations (can't remember
> which) would semi-silently ignore files/paths for which it couldn't
> parse the charset, that it, it didn't copy the files/dirs, also didn't
> error, just spit some mumbling in dmesg (this was on Linux also). So
> beware of your FS charset.
>
> As Joshua Isom mentioned, there's also UDF. But IIRC FreeBSD wasn't
> able to write on it when I checked. Also slow compared to native FSs
> (same league or worse than the userspace NTFSs). I'd love to go with
> UDF, if only it had better support/performance.
>
> And don't underestimate your backups.
>
> --
> (nil)

--=20