Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 15:37:43 -0500
From:      "Chuck Rock" <carock@epconline.net>
To:        "Siviwe Kwatsha" <siviwe@kwatsha.za.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Is there documentation somewhere on....

This is what happens...

dilithium# cd /usr/ports/security/openssh && make install clean

This port requires the OpenSSL library, which is part of
the FreeBSD crypto distribution but not installed on your
machine. Please see Chapter 6.5 in the handbook for
instructions on how to obtain and install the FreeBSD
OpenSSL distribution.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

This has happened on two different machines and three separate installs.

This ONLY happens if I select "NO" when it asks me if I want to use DES
encryption.

The OpenSSL library is not in the ports directory either.

Other caveats....

without OpenSSL lynx-ssl will not install from ports directory, and just
plain lynx from the ports directory won't install either due to a security
problem...
===>  lynx-2.8.2rel.1 is forbidden: Riddled with buffer overflows
exploitable by a malicious server to execute code as the local user..

So that make s the handbook at /usr/share/doc/handbook where Chapter 6.5, is
hard to read because it's in HTML. :(

I'm not crazy.... am I?

Chuck