Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 97 09:49:11 Pacific Standard Time
From:      "Sean J. Schluntz"  <schluntz@pinpt.com>
To:        "Hr.Ladavac"  <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MIDI Software for FreeBSD?

> > Yah, I've looked in the ports/audio section and searched the Message and
> > archives :(
> >
> > I guess I will have to broaden my search to Linux and SCO software to see
if I
> > can find such a beast (One of the last things keeping NT on my system.  As

> > soon as I find an answer to this it goes!)
>
> I'm afraid you won't find any.  I've been searching for years, and the only
> thing that is barely useful is a tcl MIDI library.  One would have to start
> from scratch. (I've lost the URL, sorry)
>
> Presently, nothing approaches the QBase, which is the only reason why
> WfWG 3.11 still remains on my machine.
>
> MACH might be a better platform for MIDI than UNIX, anyway.  You *do* need
> hard realtime to play that junk.  Recording is even worse.  Naturally, we're
> talking about live and studio performances here.  Just for fun, you don't
> really care if one note comes too late :)
>
> Hard RT is yet another reason why I prefer DOS based MIDI sequencers: there
> ain't no OS which *might* disturb their operation.

Thanks for the info, I think I will just have to put together a cheap 486
system for the MIDI work then :(  I really want to get my home system moved
over so I can start on a couple of other projects.

I'm going to have to look at the MIDI software thing again though.  I wonder
how well some of the DOS apps would work under doscmd or such.  Or how well
the Windoz 3.1 softare would work under WABI for linux.

-Sean
Sean J. Schluntz                                  <schluntz@pinpt.com>
Manager, Support Services                        ph. 408.997.6900 x222
PinPoint Software Corporation                    fx. 408.323.2300
6155 Almaden Expressway, Suite 100
San Jose, CA.  95120                             http://www.pinpt.com/

Local Time Sent: 02/13/97 09:49:12