Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 2003 18:44:45 +0000
From:      Geraint A Edwards <gedge@serf.org>
To:        Robert English <drakcap@pacbell.net>
Cc:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Runaway Galeon - further further info

Robert English <drakcap@pacbell.net> said
		(on Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 05:28:24PM -0800):
> More experiments are necessary before I leap to any conclusions
> on this one, but the permissions on those two files are
> currently "0644".  Before this is over, I may have to modify
> those two to "0444" as well.

My partner uses Galeon, and last night it threw up bazillions
(well, dozens) of popup windows (for the first time) and,
coincidentally, I read this thread today.

That box has never run Mozilla or Galeon as root, to my
knowledge.  If it has, then that would be my other personality,
EvilUser, and I have repressed the memories from such periods of
possession.

The aforementioned file looks as follows:

-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  154856 Dec 10 01:09
		/usr/X11R6/lib/mozilla/components/compreg.dat

FWIW,

--
Geraint A. Edwards  "Gedge"
Caerdydd(Cardiff), Cymru(Wales)