Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 1997 11:07:48 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        pius@ienet.com
Cc:        sos@ravenock.cybercity.dk, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, mark@quickweb.com
Subject:   Re: Linux JDK on 2.2

pius@ienet.com stands accused of saying:

> Hmm, to be honest I don't know what FIOSETOWN/FIOGETOWN do exactly, but
> the following two patches to the linux lkm seem to work for me (at least
> with respect to running the Linux JDK):

(from the linux fcntl(2) manpage)

       F_GETOWN Get  the  process  ID  (or  process group) of the
                owner of a socket.

                Process groups are returned as negative values.

       F_SETOWN Set the process or  process  group  that  owns  a
                socket.

                For  these  commands,  ownership  means receiving
                SIGIO or SIGURG signals.

                Process groups are specified using negative  val-
                ues.

This reads the same as the BSD one :

     F_GETOWN   Get the process ID or process group currently receiving SIGIO
                and SIGURG signals; process groups are returned as negative
                values (arg is ignored).

     F_SETOWN   Set the process or process group to receive SIGIO and SIGURG
                signals; process groups are specified by supplying arg as neg-
                ative, otherwise arg is interpreted as a process ID.