Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:12:37 +0200
From:      Toni Schmidbauer <toni@stderror.at>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rebuilding after CVSUP

--9dgjiU4MmWPVapMU

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 03:41:54PM -0400, Brent Bailey wrote:
> Im running 5 4.8rc1 FBSD machines ..ive already done a cvsup ..im getting
> ready to do the rebuild of the systems
>=20
> Ive been reffering to the howtos on www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd
>=20
> but id like to get the lists opinion on this seeing as these are
> production machines im working on.

- first i would recommend reading the handbook about buildworld
  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

- if this are production machines, i would use tag=3DRELENG_4_8
  so you are only updating to the latest security branch.
  developers at freebsd.org are currently preparing to release 4.9
  so -stable could be shaky.

- in a production environment, always try the update on a test maschine (wh=
ich
  should be identical to the prod machines)

- you could try updating the servers over nfs, see the handbook mentioned a=
bove.

if you read the documentation really carefully, there is nothing to be afra=
id of.
i am updating my servers since 3 years via cvsup/installworld and never had=
 a=20
problem (thanks to the freebsd team :-).

hth,
toni=20
--=20
Kann man etwas nicht verstehen, dann urteile man | toni at stderror dot at=
=20
lieber gar nicht, als dass man verurteile.       | Toni Schmidbauer
-- Rudolf Steiner                                |=20

--9dgjiU4MmWPVapMU

--9dgjiU4MmWPVapMU--