Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 00:34:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How does FreeBSD performs in server tasks? [off-topic]

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Conrado Vardanega wrote:

> I would like to hear from Athlon-based server owners/admins how does it
> performs with server tasks. My aim is to find out how good is a Pentium III
> chip for a server instead a low-cost, high-performance Athlon CPU. I would
> consider, for evaluation purposes, a (FreeBSD) system running
> Apache/PHP/mod_ssl and MySQL mainly, because they're pretty sensitive to
> user-response. So, which are the pros and cons of having a Intel based
> server or a AMD based server?

    Support for Intel-based chipsets is likely to be more robust than
for the AMD or VIA-based chipsets that exist on Athlon motherboards.
As an example, it took awhile for XFree86 4.1.0 to be fixed to run on
motherboards with the "Irongate" chipset (AMD 761 north bridge) when a
Radeon QD video board is present.

    That said, my 1.333 GHz T-bird *flies*.  I can build all of
userland in around 40 minutes, a kernel in under 5 minutes, and
all of XFree86 4.1.0 in about 20 minutes.  For reference, I have 256MB
of Crucial PC2100 ECC DDR on-board, and my disk is a WD Caviar ATA-66,
5400rpm.  I have the write-caching sysctl enabled.

    Getting back to some more specific info you wanted, the only web
app I run that has bearing is Kalendus, and it responds mighty quickly.

> "Add-in" topic: how DDR-memory instead SDRAM affects server performance?

    It *rocks*.

    For another benchmark, I pulled 110 MFLOPs from this machine with
the LINPACK benchmarks.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)