Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 04:06:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Nielsen <nielsen@memberwebs.com>, <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: (jail) problem and a (possible) solution ?

Terry,

Thanks for that informative email - just a quick reality check though (for
myself) - the last time this type of crash happened, I was running and
watching `top` on the machine - and when it froze, the `top` output froze
as well, and this was the last display on the screen:

last pid:  6603;  load averages:  3.81,  1.84,  1.48
1032 processes:1 running, 1026 sleeping, 5 zombie
CPU states:  1.8% user,  0.8% nice,  3.2% system,  0.1% interrupt, 94.1%
idle
Mem: 1129M Active, 1404M Inact, 351M Wired, 103M Cache, 199M Buf, 28M Free
Swap: 2018M Total, 2732K Used, 2015M Free

Since all of the things you spoke of basically revolved around "you're
running out of memory", is it possible or reasonable to think that within
the space of 1 second, I ran through 1404 megs inactive and 28 megs free
memory ?

machine is 4.5-RELEASE with 3gigs ram.  swap never gets touched, although
there is in fact 2gigs of swap.  `pstat -s` always shows 0% used.

I'll do the debug actions you suggested.

--PT