Date:      Tue, 2 Feb 1999 13:37:27 -0500
From:      "Horia Georgescu" <hgeorges@oasis.on.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Permission denied for NFS clients

Hello everybody.

I'm struggling for more than 3 hours to "catch" the problem. Please help if
you have any idea about what's happening.

I'm running this version:

FreeBSD site.my.net 2.2.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE #0: Fri Oct  9
09:19:
29 EDT 1998     root@site.my.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/SITE  i386

I have this exports file:
(I intentionally used operating systems names and versions, instead of the
actual names of the clients, to give you a better idea.)

#/etc/exports file
/array/consulting/tara digital4.0
/array/site digital4.0
/array/site solaris2.5
/array/site hpux10.20
/array/site aix4.1
/array/togo -maproot=0  aix4.2
/array/projects/mydir

everything works fine up to the last line.
the following command fails on both solaris2.5 and hpux10.20:

mount -F nfs site:/array/projects/mydir /mnt

The message I get on the client is: "Permission denied"

Confusing enough, if I do the same on a Linux box:

mount -t nfs site:/array/projects/mydir /mnt

and the directory is mounted successfully.

Self mounting from site to site (through NFS) works to.

Nevertheless, site:/array/site is mounted just fine on both solaris2.5 and
hpux10.20

Can anybody explain to me what's wrong here?! Mountd -d (on site) doesn't
return any explanatory messages when I get permission denied on the client
machines.

Thanks much,
Horia Georgescu