Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 19:03:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Whistle Claims and Copyrights

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>> Why doesn't FreeBSD add FreeBSD, Inc to the copyright? Certainly /usr/src
>> contains copyrightable contributions by FreeBSD. A statement in the
>> copyright requiring...
>>
>> 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
>>    must display the following acknowledgement:
>
>Because we don't like clauses 3 and 4 and have removed them from the
>FreeBSD Project version, the BSD license being something we'd prefer
>to leave as unmodified as possible.
>
>> ...would seem wholly appropriate. The BSD license does not seem to
>> preclude such a statement.
>
>No, but it's not something we'd want to force on anyone in any case.
>If somebody wants to call their derived product "FrobOS" and not
>credit FreeBSD at all, fine.  If they want to catch some of the free
>software buzz and get our more immediate help, they can also openly
>use FreeBSD.  It's their choice.

*** jkh cc trimmed due to Holland trip.

Fair enough. Any licensing scheme involves consideration of a large number
of factors. The addition of FreeBSD as a right holder seemed reasonable
to my mind.

It is apparent that FreeBSD continues to maintain the absolute minimum
restrictions, making FreeBSD a truly free(dom) system.

I did not realize who Mr. Lambert was or that he reads this forum until
today. I had heard of Whistle's support of open source previously but have
learned much more recently. It is nice to see that Terry was receptive to
my comments. It was even nicer that he agreed that the "BSD not free
software" comment needed work.

I would conclude this thread by saying that this whole discussion is
testimony to the benefits of free software and the synergy that free and
commercial software can produce.

FreeBSD is still the single best "purchase" that I have ever made.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/