Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 21:14:46 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Charles Quarri <randy@hackerz.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Coidan_Sm=F8rgrav?= <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>, Mike Holling <myke@ees.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making a local FreeBSD distribution?

Charles Quarri wrote:
> Quoting Mark Murray (mark@grondar.za):
> > Charles Quarri wrote:
> >
> > Your /etc/* is not up-to-date with CURRENT.
>
> I thought I had updated that.  I am actually tracking STABLE, not
> CURRENT.  I presume this was a typo.

Er, no - your ldconfig was objecting to /usr/lib - this is a 3.0 symptom.
Perhaps your sources are a bit mixed up? Check your cvs-supfile

> > Perhaps
> > a) Not reading commit mail carefully enough; or
>
> I will go back and look, but you are probably right.  Could you
> score me a clue as to what to look for?

Yup. Look at all the commit messages for ldconfig. It may be worthwhile
getting (and tracking) the CVS tree so that these are permanently available.
See CVS(1), CVSUP (in ports) and CURRENT/STABLE in the handbook.

> > b) Running CURRENT when you are not ready to hack on it yourself
>
> Hey, I am just getting started here, aren't I allowed a few mistakes?

Hehehe! Mistakes, sure. Don't get into the habit of believing that this
is _support_. The situation is a bit different with STABLE, but there is
still much responsibility for you to keep up-to-date, and not rely on the
helpdesk :-). The _releases_ are the supported products.

Mark Murray