Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 1996 22:19:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Yves Lepage <yves@CC.McGill.CA>
To:        paul@nation-net.com, totii@est.is
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, yves@maelstrom.CC.McGill.CA
Subject:   Re: M$ mail

Hi,

What is think the real question is:

One of our depts here runs the M$ SMTP gateway to get mail
from the Internet to be delivered to M$ users. The same gateway
is also used to deliver to the Internet, mail that's been sent by the
M$ users (hence the term: gateway).

The problem is, at least with the version that the dept runs,
that it is very (make it very E +100000) instable and it can only
accept messages with a limited size, which is relatively small
(around 32K if you want to make your MTBF > 2 minutes).

The original sender of the question must have thought that
replacing this gateway with a FreeBSD machine would be a great idea.
I can't disagree. Even replacing Paradise Island with FreeBSD
would be a great idea.

However, the messages in M$ mail queue are encrypted ( I think)
and very poor documentation exists about the file formats. For that
reason, people have to pay top dollars to have an M$ consultant
come in and unjam a stuck mail queue when it happens (hail commercial
products).

The only non-M$ solution for delivering M$ mail is PMDF, which
won't run on a FreeBSD machine as they only make it for Solaris,
Open VMS and some other OS, all of which are barely functional
(standard disclaimer here).

I hope this helps,
Yves Lepage