Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2008 20:41:59 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Holger Jorra <holger_jorra@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XDVI, LaTeX, teTeX dependencies

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 03:20:05AM +0100, Holger Jorra wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I know that this is not only a FreeBSD issue, but I don't know where else=
 I=20
> should ask. First, this issue has been brought up here in a different way=
 3=20
> years ago, but there seems to be no solution, yet. [1]
>=20
> I use Latex for documentation and presentations of my work. My problem is=
 that=20
> I still haven't found a working DVI-Viewer in FreeBSD without installing =
the=20
> whole KDE-dependencies (KDVI). Latex compiles into dvi files.

(La)TeX can also generate PDF directly with pdf(la)tex. See
/usr/ports/print/teTeX-base/pkg-plist.

> So either I use=20
> teTex (as the thread [1] recommends) but which is not supported anymore [=
2]=20
> and cannot use XDVI, or I install the latex-package and will not be able =
to=20
> use other Latex-tools like dvips and cannot print or share it.

It it not in ports (yet) but I think currently the best solution is to
install the TeXLive distribution that you can download from CTAN. It is the
most comprehensive TeX distribution out there.=20

Roland
--=20

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy--