Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 00:44:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cable modem choices

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Dennis Mathiasen wrote:

> I haven't been able to locate information on how these things
> actually work.  Apparently the ISP just uses DHCP, but what about
> any authentication?

    My ISP expects a certain MAC address.

> Are the modems themselves all functionally the same?  Most
> manufacturers don't say that they work with UNIX.  Is the situation
> the same as with phone modems v. "win modems"?

    No, not usually.  You have RG-6 coming in from the pole to the
cable modem, and CAT-5 coming out from the cable modem to your NIC.
The cable modem doesn't care what OS is on the other end of the patch
cable.

> I'd appreciate any suggestions which one to buy.  Thanks.

    As Doug Barton mentioned, you're better off leasing one from the
cable company.  The cable modem sitting beside me, for example, is
$1000 (so I was told).  The lease rate is just built-in to my monthly
access charge ($59.95 for 1500K down/500K up).  Hook up with
dyndns.org and you're good to go.

    Oh, to minimize bonehead issues with the installer, you might want
to boot Winblows for when (s)he shows up, just to placate the cable
company, and then boot back into FreeBSD later.  Otherwise, just
convince them that you know what you're doing, and promise to support
yourself.

You'll need something like this in /etc/rc.conf:

ifconfig_dc0="DHCP"

(Replace "dc0" with the appropriate device for your NIC, e.g., "xl0"
for 3Com 3C905, "fxp0" for Intel Etherexpress, etc.)

    Now you'll get an address at boot-time.  I'm not sure, but if your
box is already up when the installer comes,

    ifconfig dc0 down
    ifconfig dc0 up

(or the equivalent for your NIC)

might also do the trick so that you don't have to reboot.  I don't
actually know, never having tried it.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)