Date:      Tue, 06 Jan 1998 12:29:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      PARADOX@DEPAUW.EDU
To:        goeringerm@keywest.ird.rl.af.mil
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PS2 Mouse Support

Greg Bedrossian said:

>It appears that while in the GUI setup screen you can choose this type
>of mouse, it is disabled in the kernel config for the reason that it
>claims to have a conflict with the "IO_KBD" interupt vector 12. Further
>investigation shows that in fact it is not the IRQ that seems to be the
>conflicting issue, but thr port address 0x60 that conflicts with the
>Keyboard port address 0x60. While the config table indicates that this
>conflict is "allowed" after adding the "psm0" driver to the "Active
>Drivers" list,  when you enter the config screen in X86 GUI mode to
>configure the mouse, the keyboard freezes.

Exactly the problem I had.  My solution was to use the non-GUI xconfig
program.  Took some library work to get the monitor/video card details,
but, whatever the problem the GUI config had with the mouse doesn't hinder
the functioning of Xwindows.  (as described above, I enabled the psm0
driver.  I did not load the Xwindows stuff with the initial FreeBSD
installation.  After seeing that all was working properly, I used
/stand/sysconfig to install Xwindows.  Back at the command-line, I did the
textmode configuration.)

Louis Smogor
paradox@depauw.edu