Date:      Tue, 04 Mar 2008 10:48:55 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Roy Marles <roy@marples.name>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Evolution crawls on FreeBSD

Quoting Roy Marles <roy@marples.name> (from Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:42:47 +0000):

> On Sunday 02 March 2008 23:12:37 Jean-Yves Lefort wrote:
>> Indeed, a casual inspection of libexec/rtdl-elf/rtld.c shows that the
>> SO_NEEDED lists (Obj_Entry.needed) are walked recursively. Removing
>> the useless entries might therefore have a dramatic impact on
>> performance.
>
> One thing that may help here is allowing the use of cutsom LDFLAGS -
> namely -Wl,--as-needed. This removes SO_NEEDED references when the library
> really isn't needed. For a more indepth discussion on the benefits of this=
,

This sounds really interesting! We would have to check which compiler =20
versions understand this flag. And it is a nin-intrusive change to the =20
autotools chain. And making ports honor LDFLAGS (like they do with =20
CFLAGS) is a good ideas IMO.

> read this article [1]. I had a quick look at ports, but it doesn't seem to
> honor LDFLAGS in any port. Sadly most of the world needs to be compiled wi=
th
> this LDFLAG for it to really work, so I didn't look much futher. FreeBSD b=
ase
> system compiles fine with it though :)

Oh, if the gnome maintained ports would honor LDFLAGS, it would =20
already be a big deal (and probably solve the issue with evolution).

Thanks for info,
Alexander.

--=20
Advice from an old carpenter: measure twice, saw once.

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137